We are an organization creating a movement for better education globally We plan to effectively influence 7 sectors of the school system to promote healthier methods to optimize learning, decrease behavioural issues, and create a safe school environment in educational institutions.
To empower educational leaders, parents and communities to establish and promote emotionally, physically, mentally and spiritually safe environments.
To create safe schools, safe homes, and safe communities that develop healthy, resilient children.
- SAFETY: Establishing caring schools, homes, and communities that allow children and adults to feel safe.
- SIGNIFICANCE: Respecting each individual for the person God created him/her to be.
- EDUCATION: An inclusive, differentiated learning environments for all students, including differentiated assessments of abilities.
- BRAIN SCIENCE: Relevant research and theories developed by highly respected scientists.
- COLLABORATION: Creating a strong network of positive support between administration, teachers, students, parents, curriculum developers, and training centres.
- GOD: The love of God, which casts out fear, and consideration for how GOD would treat any person, child or adult.
The 7 Sectors
Many people think that a school is just a school, with students and teachers. We think bigger. We realize that there are at least 6 major sectors that create a school. The Stoplight Approach aims to influence all six of these access points, as well as create collaboration between them all.
- STUDENTS: Those who sit in classes for 5 days a week, trying their best to learn as much as possible.
- PARENTS: Those responsible to raise the students out of love and respect, teaching them proper social behaviours and encouraging them to excel in everything they can.
- TEACHERS: Those responsible to teach the students out of love and respect, teaching them according to what is included in the syllabus and curriculum, and encouraging them to excel in everything they can.
- ADMINISTRATION: Those responsible (including the Head of School) to handle school admissions, finances, and support for the teachers.
- SUPPORT STAFF: Those responsible for cleaning and maintaining the school property. As well as those who assist teachers, provide medical care and work/volunteer in various capacities in and around the school.
- CURRICULUM DEVELOPERS: Those responsible for developing curriculum that meets high standards and instils problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- TEACHER TRAINING CENTRES/COLLEGES: Those responsible for training teachers the best methods to teach students, including classroom management tools to replace corporal punishment.
In creating a community of collaboration and synergy within and between each sector, the Stoplight Approach will not only be effective, but will become an integral part of the local culture that will spread to the rest of the nation.
What We've Achieved
- Written a book that includes the science behind the Stoplight Approach, behavioural management tools as well as chapters on differentiated learning, breaktime, and the process of change.
- Started a National Stoplight Team in Uganda that has begun to train other school in The Stoplight Approach.
- Started a Global Stoplight Team that will support national team's as they start and begin to develop in various countries.
- Began a pilot project in October 2015 with 4 local primary schools in Kampala, Uganda.
- Taught multiple Stoplight Seminars in various regions of the country, including at the National Curriculum Development Centre (NCDC) in Kampala, Uganda.
What we look forward to
- The completion of our pilot project, which will measure change and prove the efficacy of The Stoplight Approach
- The completion of two new books to complement The Stoplight Approach book. The first book will be a curriculum book that will help teachers train their students in Red, Yellow and Green Brain as well as Safe Environments
- The growth and development of the National Stoplight Team in Uganda so that it will be completely run by Ugandans by December 2016
- The development of the Global Stoplight Team which will be in charge of developing material as well as supporting the National Stoplight Teams
- The syllabus for the Stoplight Approach to be taught in teacher training centres and colleges